Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hordes of Guard!

I haven't been happy with the way I based my oldschool Necromundan-type Imperial Guard. In an effort to conserve bases, I made my own from sheet styrene. Basically, I cut strips to match the size of the Epic strip bases (10mm by 40mm), punched holes for the troops, then glued another strip to the bottom to seal everything together. It worked and looked fine - at least until the glue started to dry... Unfortunately, when drying, the liquid model cement I used caused the bases to warp.

The warping wasn't too terrible, but the basing material I used was far too coarse, so, not only did it bury the feet of the guardsmen, it looked like they were trying to slog through rocks the size of their heads.

Sigh.

Fortunately, I had some greatcoat infantry I picked up through a good deal some time back, and I decided that I would use those guys as my IG. And this time, I would use actual Epic bases and a basing material that was finer than the previous stuff. Clever, huh?

At this point, I've based all (I think) of the rank and file IG. I've got a few strips of the metal command models, but I haven't decided if I want to do stands of four or five models. The metals are a little more dynamic and have stuff like large flags that might be a pain to paint if crammed five to a base.

At any rate, I'm trying to reorganize my guard to be able to neatly fit into any of the official or variant IG lists - I've got enough troops for:
  • Five Steel Legion infantry companies; or
  • Six Baran Siegemaster infantry companies; or
  • Three Krieg infantry companies

I should have done this consolidation when I did my original guard, but I was in a rush and wanted to get them all done RIGHT NOW! Moral of the story: Even if you think you know how something is going to turn out, try it out in a small scale first. You might save yourself some headaches. Oh well.

I'm probably going to go with the standard paint scheme of the tan greatcoats - not very Krieg-like, but they'll stand out better on the table. The drab green of the vehicles is unsuitable for such small models, and they'll just get lost at viewing distance.


No comments :

Post a Comment