Monday, January 7, 2013

On Guard for Adepticon!

Adepticon! Yep, I'm really going to try to make it this year. I wanted to go last year, but didn't think anyone else was interested. After the event, I found out Dave went and I was really bummed that I hadn't said anything. We're making plans to go this year though - I'm saving up right now to make it happen.

In keeping with the "Getting Things Done" theme, I'm going to need two fully painted armies - one Epic and one Warmaster. This is just more incentive to get these armies done, though I have a strict time limit now.

My original goal was to finish up my Orks to have a 3000 point force to be able to base additional units off of. The problem is that I'm just not having a lot of fun with da boyz in the recent games I've been playing. Case in point - yesterday, I played a game against a Space Marine force. By the end of turn one, I had lost over two-thirds of my force! Granted, I had made a few tactical errors (keep the boyz in cover!), and my opponent is really good, but a major factor was that I couldn't roll decent numbers on the dice to save my life. It doesn't help that Orks are terrible at shooting, and even worse when they double.

Add to this the fact that I really need to play Epic more - I don't get to play that often (once a month, if I'm lucky,) so every game is like I'm relearning things. Close combat is really bad for me, as I rarely get into it. I can never remember how things go once I make it into hand to hand.

As a result, I think I'm going to shelve the Orks for the time being (not permanently!) and get my Imperial Guard up and functioning again. This could have been easy, but some time ago, I stripped all the paint from most of my sizable Guard force and haven't done anything with them since. I had also made some homemade strip bases for the infantry (to conserve the limited number of GW bases,) but that didn't work out so well, and the models were removed.

Since I'm under the gun, and with all of the Guard options I have, I figure the best choice would be to go with the one that needs the least amount of work. I still haven't decided on a color scheme for my Greatcoat/Krieg/Steel Legion, so I'm going to be using my old school Imperial Guard. The few vehicles I have painted are a green Cadian-looking scheme (I was going for WW2 American Army) and the Guard are pretty close to the looks of the current 40K Cadian aesthetic.

I think this will be the list:
  • Regimental HQ w/Chimeras & Hydra
  • Infantry Company w/Hydra
  • Infantry Company w/Hydra
  • Tank Company w/Hydra
  • Artillery Company w/Hydra
  • Sentinel Squadron
  • Flak Battery
  • Thunderbolts
  • Thunderbolts

Aside from the Hydras, I'll need to base and paint everything in the list. I also have to get a 3000 point Khemri army ready for the Adepticon Warmaster tournament. The clock is ticking!


No comments :

Post a Comment