Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 - The Year of Getting Things Done (TM)

2012 is gone and what do I have to show for it? A few extra pounds (and not the good British kind, the bad other kind) and not much else. All my grand plans, and nothing to show for them. Sigh...

Well, that's not going to fly in 2013. I'm through with making plans and then procrastinating on them. 2013 is officially "The Year of Getting Things Done". What "Things" am I going to "Get Done"? I'm glad I asked:






Warmaster!
I've got three Warmaster Armies sitting around in boxes at the moment - Empire, Orcs and Goblins, and Khemri. Do I plan on finishing all three? No - if I do, I'll just go crazy and work on bits at a time and never get anything accomplished. I started on the Night Goblins for the O&G army, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the way they're coming out. Therefore, I'll concentrate on the Khemri army. Skeletons are relatively quick and easy to paint, and I should be able to get the army done in a relatively short time. I'd really like to something like Vincent's beautiful Khemri, but I know that I will never have the time or patience to do all of the work required to do the shield customizations.







Epic!
Where to begin? I've got Epic armies - lots and lots of Epic armies. A couple of Space Marine armies, Orks, Necrons, Sisters of Battle, Chaos, and numerous Imperial Guard armies. So many armies, so little time... But, like the Warmaster armies, I don't plan on doing all of the Epic armies in one fell swoop. The plan is as follows:

Finish the Orks - I really only need a few more units to finish off the army, so they need to be my primary objective. A Gargant, some Stompas, and another mob of boyz and that army will be done (minus various options, but I won't worry about those for now.)

Finish one of the Imperial Guard armies - Again, I can't do all three or I'll just wind up dealing with analysis paralysis and staring at a pile of metal and plastic. Again, I have a leg up on this - I have some units already done. I had previously painted most of a Guard army, but I didn't prime them properly, and the paint started to come off during in-game handling. Also, as a bonus, the infantry can fill in for any of the other Guard armies!

Finally, I want to get one of the Space Marine armies up and running. I plan on ultimately doing a Blood Angels army and an Imperial Fists army, but the Blood Angels are my first project - I've got something special planned for the Imperial Fists. The Blood Angels will do double duty - they will act as both a standard Space Marine force and a specialized Blood Angel army.

To add to the Epic workload, I have loads of building ruins that I want to make modular terrain tiles with. This one I have to work on though - I need to figure out a good mix of sizes in order to maintain the cohesiveness of an Imperial city, while still allowing plenty of room to play. I also got my hands on some of the Ye Olde Forgeworld Imperial road sections, so they might come in handy for this project...







More Stuff!
As in the past, I have plans for other things - Man O' War fleets, Gorkamorka mobs, Bloodbowl teams, Space Hulk minis, etc. But I'm going to put them on the back burner for now. Obviously, if things go well and I find myself Getting Things Done, I'll consider a side project, but for now, I'm going to concentrate on the projects outlined above.

Still More Stuff!
In addition to actually getting some armies done, I am making a commitment to regularly update the Direct Fire blog. I am going to use this site to keep me on track and posting regular updates - I'm going to shoot for progress reports once a week and see how that goes. Here's hoping my resolve won't fail!

Next up - using army lists to guide me in my force creation.

No comments :

Post a Comment