Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Brains - they're good, and good for you!

Killing zombies, so you don't have to. That's the power of Zombicide!
I recently received my box for the Zombicide: Season 2 Kickstarter - 19 pounds of plastic and cardboard. I foolishly passed on the original Zombicide Kickstarter, and wound up purchasing the base game through the Season 2 KS as well. If you're not familiar with Zombicide, it is a 1-6 player co-op survival game where players are pitted against zombies controlled by the game itself. I think it's a pretty neat concept, I like the look, and I think it will be a fun game to break out once in a while.

"They're coming for you, Honey Boo Boo..."
I went through the boxes the other day and counted up all the models I have to paint. After recovering from the heart attack, I recounted and found that there are around 244 zombies to paint from the three combined sets and the Kickstarter bonuses. Yikes. This number does not include the Survivors, of which there are many. Double yikes.

My enthusiasm was restored after watching the Dead Rising 3 trailer this weekend though (Warning: bad language and zombie killing after the break!):



I don't plan on buying an Xbox One, but that trailer is pretty darn awesome - I was jazzed again. I decided to start with the more numerous basic zombies (berserker and toxic zombies will come later.) This last Saturday was a great day for priming, but, as I realized later, it was a little breezy and I didn't get as smooth paint coverage as I would have liked. I don't think it's worth going back and stripping everything down though - besides, they're dead right? You expect some imperfection when you're dealing with the dead.
Except for this guy. Perfect. Perfect Swayze.
So after playing with paint schemes for a while, I decided that I wanted to go with a "recently dead" look - kind of pale, slightly jaundiced or green, with post-mortem bruising. I did a flesh wash over the bare white primer, then a thinned purple wash for bruising, then a dead flesh drybrush. The final result is the model at the top of this post. Again, I'm not 100% satisfied, and I think the drybrush really brings out the inconsistent priming job, but I think it's the direction I'm going to go. Only 243 left...

No comments :

Post a Comment